Towards GDPR Compliance
[as at 22.05.2018]
- We will only use your data to improve your experience.
- We will protect your data like it’s our own.
- You decide what and how you hear from us.
- If we don’t need it, we’ll delete it.
- Your privacy is our priority.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
Most of the personal information which we may collect about you through this website is given to us only if you choose to give it to us.
Such personal information may be requested from you when you fill in a field (e.g. to submit a vacancy, sign up for our newsletter or fill in any other form with your questions and comments or any other form or application downloaded through or from Shoppinginmalta.com – KV Ltd. If you send us emails, then the personal data we process will depend on what you send us in the email.
The information we collect from you normally includes the following:
- Name + Surname;
- Contact Details;
- Email address
- Home Address
- Telephone/Mobile Number
- Payment Information
- Information from accounts you link to us;
- Your responses our surveys and competitions; Purchase History and Saved Items;
- Information about your device (phone or laptop) with which how used our website;
- If you apply for a vacancy other information will be requested
Check out the next sections to understand how and why we use this information.
Some other information is given to us because you accessed this website (e.g. logs, recorded through cookies). This is explained in the Cookies section below (Link).
How & Why we use your information
We use your information in a number of different ways — what we do with it then depends on the information and the purpose for which we collected.
The tables below set this out in detail, showing what we do, and why we do it .
Your name and contact details
|How we use your|
Name + surname
+ contact details (email address)
|To deliver your purchases to you (if you make an order with us)||We’ve got to do this to deliver your purchases with us to the address that you choose or to perform our contract with you.|
|To send you information by email, SMS, or post, about our new products and services||To keep you up to date. We only send this with your permission – and you can ask us to stop.|
|Fraud prevention and detection||To prevent and detect fraud against either you or us – unfortunate, but absolutely essential|
|Showing you adverts as you browse the web||So you can see our latest products and deals|
|Knowing what you, and other customers, like||To ensure we are giving you what you want, and to stay ahead of the competition|
|How we use your payment information||Why?|
|Since we outsource payment processing to Mypos.eu and refunds are processed as per the policies and procedures of My POS (www.mypos.eu)||This is required to perform our contract with you|
|Fraud prevention and detection||To prevent and detect fraud against either you or us.|
|How we use your contact history||Why?|
|Provide customer service and support||We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you to your best satisfaction|
|Train our staff||For our team to remain up to scratch so that you get the best possible customer service.|
What you’ve bought and what you’ve stored in your basket for another time.
How we use your purchase history and saved items
|Sell you things||We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you.|
|Provide customer service and support, and handle returns||We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you|
|Finding out what you, and other customers, like||To ensure we are giving you what you want, and to stay ahead of the competition|
- Information about your device (phone or laptop) with which you used our website
Information you give us when you browse our site or use our app, including your IP address and device type and, if you choose to share it with us, your location data, as well as how you use our website.
|How we use information about your phone or laptop, and how you use our website and app||Why?|
|Improve our website and set default options for you (such as language and currency)||To give you the best possible shopping experience|
|Protect our website||To prevent and detect fraud against either you or us — and to meet our legal obligations about looking after your data|
- Information from accounts you link to us
What we do if you link your Facebook accounts to us
How we use information from accounts you link to us
|To enable you to log into our website simply and easily without having to create a specific account||To make it easier for you to use our website and purchase our products or services.|
|To provide product recommendations||So items of interest to you are made known to you|
- Your responses to surveys, competitions and promotions
|How we use your responses to surveys, competitions and promotions||Why?|
|Run the survey, competition or promotion||We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you once you participate.|
- You don’t have to give us any of this personal information but if you don’t, you may not be able to use our site or all of the services we offer on the site, and you are unlikely to receive an optimal customer experience.
The Legal Basis for Processing
- For some of the uses of your personal data (as described above) there is a legal basis under applicable data protection laws for us to use such personal data without having obtained your consent.
This includes, for example, where it is necessary for us to use the information to perform a contract with you or take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract with you, such as to process your order, provide customer-care and support services to you.
It also includes circumstances (such as we have described below) where we have a legitimate interest to use your data, provided that proper care is taken in relation to your rights and interests:
- to ensure that we organise our databases efficiently and understand how our clients may make purchases;
- to carry out research and analysis of your data (including purchase information) as this helps us understand our clients better, who they are and how they interact with us;
- to improve and ensure the security of the website (for example, for statistical, testing and analytical purposes, troubleshooting).
- We will hold on to your information for no longer than is necessary keeping in mind the purpose/s (or compatible purposes) for which we first collected the data.
- We may also keep hold of some of your information if it becomes necessary or required to meet legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our terms and conditions.
- As a guide:
- we will keep personal data while your account with us is active (if you have an account) or until such time as you ask us to stop communications with you, unless we need to keep the data for longer;
- we may keep certain categories of personal data for longer in order to meet any legal or regulatory requirements, or to resolve a legal dispute;
- and, we may keep different types of personal data for different lengths of time if required by law (for instance, we may need to keep certain personal data relating to purchases for about 10 years in order to comply with tax/VAT reporting requirements);
- You may obtain more information as to the retention periods or the criteria used by us to determine the retention periods by contacting us here firstname.lastname@example.org
- Children Under 18
If you are aged 18 or under, please get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us.
We will need to process personal data relating to parents or guardians in that case – and we may also need to request for verification documentation to ensure that consent is given or authorised by the holder of parental responsibility.
- Sharing your information
We do not, and will not, sell any of your personal data to any third party – including your name, address, email address or credit card information. It is not our business to do so – and we want to earn your trust and confidence.
- However, we share your data with the following categories of companies as an essential part of being able to provide our services to you, as set out in this statement:
- Companies in the group to which shoppinginmalta.com belongs, as sometimes different bits of our group, are responsible for different activities (especially licensed ones); This includes KV Ltd.- related entities and members of the group. Related entities and subsidiaries use the information collected to help us improve the content and functionality of our websites; to better understand our customers and markets; and to improve our products and services. Members of the group vary from time to time.
- Other companies that are involved in the process of getting your purchases from us to you, such as payment service providers and pickers.
- Professional service providers, such as marketing agencies, advertising partners and website hosts who service us in turn to operate our business.
- Credit reference agencies, law enforcement, and fraud prevention agencies, so we can help tackle fraud.
- Other companies that you may approve, such as social media sites (if you choose to link your accounts to us) or payment service providers.
- In most circumstances, we will not disclose personal data without consent. However, there may be occasions where we might have to – e.g. with a court order, to comply with legal requirements and satisfy a legal request, for the proper administration of justice, to protect your vital interests, to fulfill your requests, to safeguard the integrity of the relevant websites operated by us or by such related entities or subsidiaries, or in the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event involving us and/or our subsidiaries and related entities.
- When we do share data, we do so on an understanding with the other entities that the data is to be used only for the purposes for which we originally intended – again, we don’t want you to have any surprises.
- We may also provide third parties with aggregated but anonymized information and analytics about our customers and, before we do so, we will make sure that it does not identify you. Anonymous information means it is anonymous.
- If we ever have to share data with entities that are outside of the EEA, we will be sure to do so in a manner that complies with the requirements established by the GDPR.
- Marketing Messages
We would normally communicate to you about products or services in which you have shown interest – we understand that you would be interested in receiving this information as it is of use with the product or service. But rest assured, you can ask us to stop.
Also, if you have said we can (i.e. you gave us your clear confirmation), we will send you marketing messages by email or SMS, to keep you aware of what we’re up to and to help you see and find our products.
How to stop marketing messages from us
You can stop receiving marketing messages from us at any time through any of the following methods:
- Through your website account settings
- By clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email we send you
- By contacting our Customer Care team email@example.com
Once you do this, we will update your profile to ensure that you don’t receive further marketing messages. Please note that it might take a few days for all our systems to be updated, so you might get messages from us while we process your request.
If you ask us to stop marketing messages this will not stop service communications (such as order updates). This may be necessary for us to communicate to you as part of our services from our contract.
- Seeing our adverts online
We engage in online advertising, also to keep you aware of what we’re up to and to help you see and find our products using targeted ads that may appear when you are on other websites and apps that offer such digital marketing services.
We use a range of advertising technologies like ad tags, cookies, and mobile identifiers, as well as specific services offered by some sites and social networks, such as Facebook’s Custom Audience service.
The banners and ads you see will be based on information we hold about you, or your previous use of our website (for example, your search history, and the content you read) or on banners or ads you have previously clicked on.